STUFF
I'm going to do some sort of crazy overview of Burkard
and Foust and Wenderoth, each poet pushing toward
"pathos" (yes, pathos) via inscrutability / indeterminacy . . .
If you leave the class serious about poetry, these three poets
will remain important for you, if not in each instance your favorite
thing in the world. If I were to guess, I'd say Burkard could
win hearts.
Wenderoth's stuff is more combative than I remember,
and uses a sort of Faux realistic pornography in
his skewering of the American Ideal / Dream . . . It
gets old when it becomes a gesture, and it does about halfway
through the book. And yet this new version of Holden Caulfield
is irresistible in many ways . . . Some folks will love it; others,
understandable, may find it a bit "cynical" . . . despite the
black comedy . . .
Please, some of you, bring your laptops so we can
drift into Lulu land. We'll talk about titles and images and
getting things clean . . .
How many of you did the prompts posted. Because we
could do them in class.
I have a gift for each of you. Ok, it's just a literary
magazine from which you can choose more poems for
anthology. Yes, they are yours to keep (actually, Mark
Halliday sent them to me to give to you . . .).
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment